Saturday, September 15, 2007

Rear Window


I've never considered myself an overly nosy person. Upon reflection of my recently developed habit of snooping out my windows, I'm afraid I am a Curious George. In the curious George books, there is a moral at the end of the story... watch for mine.
The interest I have in my neighbors began innocently, as do most habits. I was sitting at my desk which strategically faces my window. I would notice the young family directly across from me, sharing my late nights by pacing with their little baby in arm hoping for the ever sought after rest of a parent that is rarely fulfilled. While observing them, i felt quite happy with my quiet little apartment.
As time went on my eyes continued to wander. This time, it is the woman with the dog. She is a woman who looks as though she has limited means. She would be the closest to Miss Lonely Hearts. She is often dressed in a floral moo moo in her limited back yard space making conversation with her pitiful looking dog, who I'm certain has seen better days. His slumped head reveals the burden of his master's woes. She was quite the entertaining bird.
The rooftop girls, the dancers. Across from my apartment, on the top floor there are two girls, probably undergraduates. You know, the girl's desperate for attention. The type of girl that will do anything to steal the show. There is a blond and a brunette. When the weather was warmer. Their apartment opens up onto the roof where they sport their barely there swim wear, big shades, music, and of course their cell phones. They would wave and yell to the passersby on the street below. These noisy girls spent their days sunbathing and discussing rather interesting drama about people I didn't know, but it did not stop me from listening. Quite entertaining.
The Desperate Housewives. There is a woman who lives in the apartment next to me and was having a barbecue one afternoon with several of her friends. I was innocently doing some of my reading until the deluge of gossip flooded my ears and sent interest shooting up my spine. As i stood up to get a better listen and put faces to the voices I saw about five well dressed woman who were chatting over Coronas and appetizers. The smell and sounds were intoxicating and before i knew it, i was perched on top of my desk drinking it all in. I began to feel for a certain friend of theirs who was unable to attend, by the time the chicken was being served i knew more about her than some of my close friends. After the food was served they all sat down in the lounge chairs set up in a circle to facilitate the flow of conversation. It was more difficult to hear them now, so i decided to try to open my window a bit more as i was sitting down on my desk. Unfortunately, I was unaware of the groan of my window as it is opened or shut. As i swung it opened. One of the women said "What the heck is that?!" Out of the corner of my eyes i saw her head begin to turn toward my widow. In a panic, i scrambled off and proceeded to fall off of the desk, onto the floor. My face immediately turned a deep red, and I moved myself and my work to the kitchen table to avoid any further embarrassment from my big ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment