Saturday, April 21, 2007

jay's response

GRANDPA SAUVAGEAU: My memories are few and experiences limited but here is what I have. When I was 16 or 17 years old and driving down Main St. in Nia. Falls one evening I noticed an elderly man walking down the sidewalk who appeared to be Grandpa. After quickly making a U turn I was quite surprised to find out that it was actually him. I was surprised because at that time he was living in an assisted living facility that was supposed to be "secured" for the residents safety & well being. Of course very few residents felt this security was much benefit to them. Knowing that grandpa was living under these conditions I knew that his "evening stroll" was probably not approved by the staff overseeing the facility. Naturally I stopped and greeted him and asked if I could give him a ride. He accepted my offer but was somewhat disappointed when I changed his destination. He was likely heading for an old watering hole to catch up with some old friends, however he ended up where he started and was not very pleased with me. When I dropped him off at the front door of the facility I left him with my friend Rick K. as I parked the car. While in the foyer with Rick grandpa shared his frustration asking "why did the old buzzard bring me back here?". Rick reassured him that he was home and it was where he should be.
On another occassion when in the hospital he had to be restrained to his bed with a fishnet type of restraint to keep him from wandering the halls etc. When visiting he would not say much at all but focus his concentration on the fishnet covering him. He would fiddle with it the whole visit. Sure enough after a couple of days of this he freed himself to wander the halls... sans hospital gown of course. Another classic tale of Sauvageau determination.

NANA: Many many memmories. Her chicken soup, which by the way your grandfather has mastered quite well. As children we would often "sleep over" Nana's and what a treat it was. She had a way of making whom ever she was with feel very special, even if there was a room full! She was probably the most gentle and kind and generous person I've known! Her quiet strength and perservance was amazing! She had the will to raise her three children the way She knew best and that ment on her own most of the time. For many years she rented a floor of rooms in a boarding home and sub-let the individual rooms for a profit. Amazing!
As I mentioned, it was a treat to sleep over. We could watch T.V. and even pick the program, most of the time. She would always watch the 11:00 p.m. news before going to bed. She was actually louder asleep than awake, but she never believed that she snored, it was hilarious.
Her "cast of character" friends and/or relatives was a never ending supply of "material" for the entertainment of us all. Just mention these names to your aunts & uncles...Maurice, Ivan Legare, Aunt Ella, Aunt Madaline,Stella, May, the french dude with the accent and pointy shoes, etc......... I don't think that she could've turn her back on anyone. What a gentle soul.

GRANDPA SMITH: Mr. Mellow. Probably one of the most laid back regular guys I've known. He worked hard but not fast. He had a quiet, gentle and strong spirit that would make you smile with a simple comment, story or joke. I loved to hear him laugh. He impressed me as an outdoorsman. Camping was always fun and an adventure. I cherish the memory of the last camping trip we shared. I believe I was in my 20's at the time and the fact that he was even interested in coming along with us was exciting. It was always nice to be with him.
Again, it was a treat to visit grandpa & grandma Smith. I remember watching the events of the Appolo space flights on their black & white T.V. Their house was small and seemed even smaller when we were all there, but it was always adventure. He always had a gadget or two that piqued my couriosity, like his extra long half spoon that he used to reach the bottom of tall bottles or jars with small openings, like chilli sauce. He once made us popcorn on the stove and rigged up the top of the pan with a mesh strainer so that we could watch it pop in the pan. How thoughtful, or was he just having fun himself? In the house the rooms were very well defined and the boundaries well established. They had a very unique smell. As we all piled into the car and said our good-byes grandpa would give the car a final farewell "push off" and wave.
For me he defined the term "aging gracefully". I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to share grandpa & grandma's later years. This experience was enhanced when Dad & Mom opened their home to them and grandpa & grandma "moved in". What a great experience. Thanks! How about the time we (whoever was there at the time) bum rushed them when they were sleeping....to wish them a "Happy New Year". That shock probably would have killed the average person or at least pissed them off, but they took it all in stride.
In his final days he had the humility to be cared for by his family. What a precious soul.

GRANDMA SMITH: "Praise The Lord!" She often put a voice to the will of god. She was a very humble, strong willed and determined person. She worked hard and fast! In many ways she was the glue that kept it all together! She organized and hosted family get togethers with uncles, aunts & cousins, which I'm sure you'll agree was no small task. Her roast beef & mashed potatoes were a staple and her gravy was just the best. Lucky for us all... your grandmother has carried on the flavor quite well.
Needless to say her faith was strong and has made a lasting impact on her family. It was interesting to share her journey of faith. From her blessings with holy water to talking in toungues to her speed rosaries with grandpa... it was never dull. She was actually my sponser for my confirmation.
Her physical ailments were many, although I don't think I could identify any of them outside of a little Arthur-itis and indigestion, which she was well equiped to handle with the almighty and her bucket of Tums. When her ailments did get the best of her she was not opposed to sitting in the lap of a wheelchair to get around. Now remember it was not a fancy motorized one like they are today, but a manual one which we were more than happy to provide the power for. She had a great sense of humor and a quick wit. I'm sure she could even give her great grandchildren a run for their funny money!! What a strong soul!


When it is all said and done,as I like to say, "the proof is in the pudding" and the pudding looks pretty good from where I'm standing. You all come from good stock, and that's only half of your history. Your heritage is filled with alot of great qualities and virtues, which gives you all a solid foundation from which to grow. Let your spirit shine and your destiny carry you!
Peace J

No comments:

Post a Comment