Saturday, July 11, 2009

Even, Even More Jazz Festival




Joshua Redman. After Rockin' and Rollin' or whatever you can call it, with Jeff Beck, the boys and I went to see Joshua Redman. His new album Compass was the feature, and the band consists of one saxophonist, two bass, and two drummers. The idea of a double trio -- with Joshua Redman as the spearhead of two rhythm sections -- might suggest some kind of minimalist battle of the bands. In fact the concert Monday was much more than I or Steve, Luke, Elliot orJohn thought it would be. It also clocked in as one of my best fest experience so far. The songbook was mostly Redman, from the album Compass, with some input from stage-left drummer Greg Hutchinson. While the players have only recently developed a repertoire, the array of colour and feeling was vast enough, from earthy and angular to soft and cosmic. Rhythms were precise, also fun. Reading from charts in no way inhibited the energy of the evening. As democratic as it all was, with unpredictable entrances and exits, I had my favourites. Reuben Rogers was a splendid double bassist, with creative impulses, hands of steel and a perfect ear. He collaborated periodically with Larry Grenadier (who is the bass player in Brad Meldau's band -- no slouch there!) in pizzicato duets -- the only source of harmony save for the saxophone. Brian Blade was a subtle drummer, as adept with his fingers as with his sticks. Poor guy had nothing but trouble with his kit, though. At one point his foot pedal set came apart. At another point one of his drums almost flipped forward it was so loose. At the centre was Redman, athletic and indefatigable, knees rising stork like in a kind of ritual dance. Handsome as his tenor work was, he looked like a snake-charmer on soprano saxophone and was very memorable in a modern number titled Ghost. Near the end there was a surprisingly respectful treatment of the first movement of Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata and a virile fantasy on Gil Evans’s Barracuda. A good-humoured guy, Redman told the eventually rapturous crowd that this was the fifth gig for his double-trio quintet. Maybe the last, he added with a self-deprecating chuckle. I doubt it. At least I hope not. Here is a sample of what we saw and you can tell it was great. John and Elliot and Luke were in the fifth row, and Steve and I were midway back.

One of the more surprising things about Montreal during the Jazz Fest is that there is a dearth of restaurants in the immediate area. Kathleen and I found one on Friday night, right at the Place Des Arts. However, the jazz fest outdoors area has some real stinkpots. For example, Steve, Luke and the boys and I went to a "Bistro" outside near the Rio Tin stage which is the major stage there. We had goat cheese, other cheese and wine that tasted like cheese. I am so bound up as a result that I have not seen a toilet since I ate there! Seriously, I wish they could have some real nice places nearby rather than the St. Hubert or Eggspectation places that seem to sprout up like weeds, like Starbucks does. There is, though, a nice crepe stand that has been there for all of the years that I've been going. Great Crepes.

Our next concert was Pink Martini: Arguably the best concerts I've ever been to have been the Pink Martini concerts. That's not just my opinion. But, more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment