Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Bleak House

"The one great principle of the English law is, to make business for itself. There is no other principle distinctly, certainly, and consistently maintained through all its narrow turnings." Charles Dickens, from Bleak House. Kathleen and I watched "Bleak House", a fifteen part serialization of Dicken's classic. In our house, we are Dickens Addicts and thank goodness that we are not alone. I think that Masterpiece Theatre and Hollywood have such reverence for Dickens that it is hard to think of a bad adaptation of any of his works. A lot of that has to do, of course, with the fact that there is no such thing as a bad Dickens' story. But Kathleen and I came upon a 2005 version, done for Masterpiece Theatre, of Bleak House. It was one of the best adaptations of any novel that I have ever seen. Here's a taste of it. Spoiler Alert: If you haven't read the book or seen the movie, this gives some important endings away.
The cast was just great. We watched it on Netflix.

1 comment:

  1. I read the book last year in the spring and I've never watched an adaptation of it. They would need, at least, 15 segments to get it close to the book. It takes awhile to get through. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete